
We're almost total opposites, but love each other just the same. I correct her spelling and she helps me figure out whether I'm sick or not. Thank God for nurses. My best friend, Erica, is an amazing person and the best friend a girl could ask for and today is her birthday.
As you can see from the photo, she's a tall blond, and I am not. There have been many times when we are out that she gets tons of attention from guys and I stand off to the side slowly sipping my drink. Her eyes eventually meet mine and we quickly make our escape and find somewhere quieter to make fun of the guys who were hitting on her.
Erica is like a second daughter to my parents, which I think they appreciate due to the extreme amount of time they have spent with and dealing with my two brothers and their friends. I laughed when I found out my parents had exchanged Christmas cards with Erica this year. It also made me smile and reassured me that I have a friend for life if she's willing to put up with my parents and their little oddities.
I never would have thought Erica and I would become friends when I first met her. She was well dressed, tall, blond and a little ditzy in my opinion. She was a cheerleader in high school and on the golf team. I'm glad I didn't let first impressions scare me away. I partially credit the boys who lived next door to us with aiding our friendship. If not for them we may have had nothing to whisper and giggle about late at night. That whispering and giggling led to the telling of other funny stories and the realization that this girl who I thought would only be in my life for nine months really understood me and would do anything for me.

Now seven years after meeting each other, Erica and I talk about our nephews, work and of course cute guys when we can find the time in our hectic schedules. I miss her every time I go shopping and even more so when I have a bad day and just need a hug and a kind word. I couldn't be prouder of her and the work she does even though it means we have little time to talk to each other. Erica takes good care of mothers and their newborn babies at the hospital. There's nobody better suited for this job. Erica's gentle, kind and she knows her stuff. Sometimes she starts talking about nursing stuff and I don't understand most of it, but I still find it fascinating.
She has agreed to let me take her to her first Major League Baseball game in July. This is a big thing, as she still really only likes golf and NASCAR (she likes the crashes). I hope she is ready to whisper and giggle about the first baseman's cute butt. I also hope there are many more years in our friendship. I want us to be the old ladies in rocking chairs at the nursing home who whisper and giggle about the old men slowly shuffling past us with their walkers.
No comments:
Post a Comment